As a homeowner, it is possible that you may deal with water damage at some point in time. A variety of events can cause water damage, including flooding in your area and broken or busted pipes. No matter the cause, it can be inconvenient and costly to fix. Unfortunately, water damage is never planned and when it strikes, your home may suffer and the clean-up process can linger.
While water damage can totally destroy a home, in the case of a broken pipe, knowing the right steps to take can save you lots of time and money. If your home ever faces water damage, these few simple steps can make a world of difference.
- Put Electrical Safety First: DO NOT use any electrical appliances or equipment in close proximity to the water. If electrical appliances or equipment are present in the area, locate your breaker box immediately and turn off all utilities.
- Capture Photos of Damage: Using your cell phone or camera, take as many photos as possible to help you when it comes to getting an insurance claim.
- Stop the Flow of Water: If possible, stop the flow of water to prevent further damage to your home. In the case of a broken pipe, turning off your properties main water valve can do the trick.
- Remove as Much Water as Possible: Get a bucket and remove water from the site. Doing this will help to alleviate some further damage that can occur.
- Cover Your Assets: Give your homeowners insurance company a call as soon as possible! The quicker you can get the “ball rolling” on an insurance claim the better off you may be.
- Call For Help: When the cause of your water damage is because of a busted pipe, the professionals at Norfolk Plumbing come in handy! Call our 24 Hour Emergency hotline at (757) 466-0644. Our team of professionals will replace the burst pipe to prevent further water leakage and save you from future damages.
- Dry Out: Contact a water damage restoration company near you to begin the drying out process of your home!
Nobody wants to be the victim of water damage but it happens to the best of us. When you face water damage because of a burst or broken pipe, call the professionals at Norfolk Plumbing to aid you in the recovery process. For plumbing emergencies, call our 24 Hour Emergency service at (757) 466-0644!