Your sewer and water lines are two of the most important elements of your home’s plumbing. There are a few tried and true signs that your sewer and water lines are in need of replacement. Let’s go over the functionality of your water and sewer lines and then discuss sign to tell if it’s time to call Norfolk Plumbing for a replacement!
What is the importance of your home’s water/sewer lines?
The water line (also referred to as the water main) that is connected to your home supplies your water from the city water main. It usually runs from the street to your home. Water from a lake or reservoir is sent to a treatment facility, which is further sent to a local water tower and then to your home. Without a water line, your water supply would be completely cut off! All of this is a big reason why you should know where your underground utilities are when doing outdoor work. You don’t want to crack a pipe!
Your home’s sewer line is the other big connection your house has to municipal facilities. Simply put, a sewer line allows for the expulsion of sewage. All of the water flowing from your home goes through your sewer line. Having a clean and healthy sewer line is essential to a functional household. This is why it is important to take care with what you put down the drain to avoid clogging and build up.
Signs Your Water Line Needs Replacing
- Lack of water pressure – If you notice a lack of water pressure in your home and can’t seem to find a fix with your in-home plumbing, you might be in need of a water line replacement. It might be cracked, or blocked.
- Water discoloration – If you notice your water is an abnormal color, you might be in need of a water line replacement. Sediment could be leaching into your water from a damaged water line.
- Spike in your water bill – Have you noticed a recent spike in your water bill? This may be the result of a leak in your water line.
Signs Your Sewer Line Needs Replacing
- Backups – If you are noticing backups of sewage into multiple household amenities, like toilets and sinks, there is a good chance that your sewer line is in need of a replacement.
- Slow drainage – Are you spending noticeably more time watching the water in your kitchen sink slowly disappear? Clogs in your pipe system are the most common culprit for this problem. In most cases, a simple method used for unclogging pipes (such as using drain cleaner or a plunger) can help alleviate the clog. If you do not experience any resolution through these methods, the issue may be due to a clog in the main sewer line.
- Smells – is there a nasty smell coming from one of your toilets or sinks? This is a big sign that there is a clog in your main sewer line.
As always, Norfolk Plumbing is here to take your call! Give us a call at (757) 466-0644. We are open 24/7 for emergency services.