We all dread the moment when you flush and it doesn’t go down the toilet. That “uh oh” moment when you realize something is wrong and your toilet is probably clogged. What do you do then? What happens if this annoyance occurs all of the time? Let’s take a look at some reasons why your toilet may clog often. Plus, we’ll look at some solutions that can help you solve the problem!
Reasons Your Toilet Keeps Clogging
Here are some common reasons why your toilet is constantly clogging. Remember that these don’t cover every possibility; there are other probable causes. If none of these match your problem, give our team of plumbing experts a call. We’ll be happy to help explore the issue further and find the proper solution.
- You have an old toilet that’s seen a lot of wear and tear. It may also be a low-flow toilet which is less effective than the newer models.
- Someone has flushed items down the toilet that don’t belong there. This can include things like cat litter, feminine products, and wipes. It can also include objects like children’s and pets’ toys.
- The toilet vent is blocked. This vent sits outside your home and helps regulate the system’s airflow, ensuring water flows in and out of your home.
- Your sewer line is clogged. This is often a bit more serious to repair because it’s happened further down in your pipe system. These disruptions are typically caused by a broken pipe or a root clog caused by plant or tree growth near the line.
- You’re using WAY too much toilet paper. Using too much toilet paper is a waste. It wastes your money, it wastes paper in an environmental sense, and it also causes damage to your plumbing.
How to Beat a Clogged Toilet
Now that we’ve looked at why your toilet may become clogged let’s look at what you can do to keep this from happening. Many of these tips can help you avoid the issues above, but we’ll discuss in more detail what that may look like.
- Ensure clear rules about what can and cannot go down the toilet are established. Make this clear with your children and guests. When the expectation is set, it is easier to avoid any issues. It’s also a good idea to keep toilet lids closed so that pets don’t accidentally lose toys in the toilet.
- Upgrade your toilet to a more eco-friendly and efficient toilet. Newer models will not only save you the hassle of constant clogs but also help you save money and water.
- Stop using so much toilet paper. Use the amount you need and nothing more. This is an easy fix!
- Call a professional to help when the problem goes beyond your knowledge! Instead of trying to fix the issue yourself and risk furthering the problem, call for help. An expert plumber will likely know what the issue is and what the solution should be.
The bottom line is to take better care of your toilet! We know it’s not the most glamorous thing in your home, but it is an important part of everyday life. Taking proper care of it will mean having to stress less about potential issues in the future. Regular maintenance and conscientious use will save you all the headaches of repairs. The Norfolk Plumbing professionals are here to assist you! Just call (757) 466-0644 to schedule an appointment!